Estonian Film Institute (EFI) was reorganized on the basis of Estonian Film Foundation in 2013 by the Government of Estonia as a private legal institution.
The objective of Estonian Film Institute is to preserve and develop Estonian national film culture. The foundation is guided by the cultural policy of the Republic of Estonia and the trends in the field of film.
In order to attain its objectives, the foundation develops the following activities:
- financing Estonian film production including co-productions;
- establishing and developing international film contacts;
- promoting and coordinating Estonian film export at home and abroad;
- supporting the training of Estonian filmmakers and audiovisual professionals;
- creating and maintaining Estonian film databases;
- preserving Estonian film heritage and making it accessible for the public.
EFI is financed by the state; the budget for 2013 is 3,82 mln euros. Estonian Film Institute supports script development, short films, animations, documentaries, full-length feature films and cross/transmedia projects.
Estonian Film Institute represents Estonia at international film festivals and markets. Estonia is a member of MEDIA programme, European Audiovisual Observatory and Eurimages.
EFI operates under the auspices of the Estonian Ministry of Culture.